Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Weekly Memory Verse

Oh, I'm a day late, but the Weekly Memory Verse carries on today!!

Let's see if I remember last week's verse. It is an important one to remember!!

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful."......John 14:27 (NASB)

The words of Jesus, spoken to His disciples on the eve of His crucifixion--Jesus--knowing that He is going to suffer a tortuous trial and death, and yet He is speaking of peace. How can this be?

This goes further in John 16:33:

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

What a wonderful promise Jesus has given us!! He is not saying that by becoming a follower of Him we will not have trials and turmoils. In fact, He is saying that we will have storms in our lives.

We live in a world full of daily onslaughts. Right now, my own onslaughts are attacking me from my job and stresses within my own family dynamics. These situations are far from peaceful......they could even be considered to be "peace-destroyers'.....if I let them.

God has called us to live a life that runs counter to much of the world's practices and attitudes. It is very easy to get caught up in these "peace destroyers"--looking to the world for our peace and comfort--the acquisition of "things" to fill our hearts.

These "things" can come in many forms--sometimes catching us unaware--addictions in many, various ways; controlling attitudes; trying to buy our peace with material items--oh, I could go on and on here--but, I'm sure you have the picture.

And, I'm sure that sometimes--for a brief period--we feel that these "things" will bring us peace. But this is not true peace.

Jesus says in His prayer to His Father in John 17:11:

"Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world."

Jesus knows that He is leaving this earth--and He is leaving behind a world filled with economic struggles, wars, spiritual strife, natural disasters, accidents, terminal diseases. And we are here in this world struggling with these.

So, where do we turn? Where do we go?

To the feet of Jesus who has overcome the world. He is our only peace in this world--a peace that is very different from what the world considers to be peace.

This is a peace that fills my heart--regardless of my day to day circumstances. This is a peace that knows that by trusting God, surrendering to Him and allowing Him full control, His good plans and purposes will be known in my life.

Fully surrendering to God can be a frightening experience. We're giving up our control for God's control. We are allowing God full control, and this involves a great measure of trust--trust that God knows all and will see us through--no matter what comes our way--striving to reproduce His character in ourselves and always remaining obedient to His Word.

Then, we will know God's peace--the peace that surpasses all human understanding.

Let's move on to Week 22 of the "Embracing the Word" cards:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God......John 1:1-2 (NASB)

If you are participating this week, please link up below:




Beth










3 comments:

GodsOwn/Bernice said...

Hi Beth
Good morning!
Pray that we both experience HIS PEACE through our day

Blessings
Bernice

Beth in NC said...

I love these verses! Last weeks and this weeks. We are so blessed to have the promise of God's peace.

Have a wonderful day!
Beth

Rachel said...

Some excellent points!! Talking about peace . . . this morning I read Ezra 9:12b" and never seek their (pagan nations) peace or prosperity, that you may be strong and eat the good of the land, and leave it as an inheritance to your children forever.'" - this verse talks about not seeking the pagans or the world's peace and prosperity. Their ways are very different from God's - and we are to seek His ways and wisdom which often is opposite to the world's advice.

But His peace transcends all the turmoil of the world - it is amazing. Often peace and prosperity go together - don't they? When we are prospering in the areas of our lives - job, family, relationships - we feel peace. It is God who prospers us - we need to trust Him to do what He has promised. Nehemiah 2:20 "So I answered them, and said to them, "The God of heaven Himself will prosper us; therefore we His servants will arise and build,"

Rachel