Saturday, December 13, 2008

Then Sings My Soul Saturday


My friend, Peggy, sent me a devotional from "Women of Faith". At the bottom of this was what was called "Fun Fact". I found this most interesting and wanted to share this with you:

Did you know that during Bible times, shepherds were often considered outcasts in society? They couldn't participate in religious ceremonies, for example, because they were considered unclean. They were generally the poor peasants of their day and were often suspected of being thieves.

Isn't it amazing to think that God chose these people to be the first to hear the good news about Jesus? Of all the people in the world, of all the kings and people with wealth and power, or even just the regular folks, God chose to send His mighty angels to the shepherds, the outcasts and allow them to greet the Christ child.

No matter what you may think about yourself, or what others may think about you, God loves you so much that He sent His own Son, Jesus, just for you. Even if you were the only person on the earth, even if you were a thief or a smelly shepherd, God would have sent Jesus just for you. This Christmas and Advent, respond just as the shepherds did: run to Jesus,and tell everyone what you have seen!

It has taken me quite a while to do this post. I searched through all the usual CHRISTmas songs that would apply to this: "Angels We Have Heard on High", "Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night", "The First Noel", "Go Tell It On the Mountain", and yes, all these songs do relate to the shepherds first hearing the news of Jesus' birth.

But, they did not say how I am feeling at this moment or how the shepherds who were lowly, outcasts, probably dirty and smelly felt when they saw this spectacular sight from Heaven--God's angels coming to them to proclaim the birth of His Son!!

I can imagine they were thinking to themselves--"What? Why would God do this for us? We are nothing!!!"

And, I, too, sometimes think that: "Why would God do this for me? I am nothing."

So, I walked away from this post--walked away and prayed: "God, what direction am I heading in with this? What do YOU want me to say?"

And this was His answer:




Take these hands
And lift them up
For I have not the strength to praise You near enough
See, I have nothing
I have nothing without You

And take my voice and pour it out
Let it sing the songs of mercy I have found
For I have nothing
I have nothing without You

And all my soul needs is all Your love
To cover me, so all the world will see
That I have nothing without You

Take my body and build it up
May it be broken as an offering of love
For I have nothing
I have nothing without You

And all my soul needs is all Your love
To cover me so all the world will see
That I have nothing
That I love you,
yeah
With all my heart
With all my soul
With all my mind
And all the strength I can find

Take my time here on this earth
And let it glorify all that You are worth
For I am nothing
I am nothing without You

Stop over and visit Amy at Signs, Miracles and Wonders for more "Then Sings My Soul Saturday". Maybe you'd like to join in this week!!

Beth




5 comments:

Kay Martin said...

Loved this...just loved it.

I work with exoffenders and others in my church ministry. Some of them are the most wonderful Christians I have ever been priviledged to know. I go to them for prayer and insight with some deep issues.

It does seem that God will use the darkest circumstance to set up a display for his splendor and glory. Loved the way you have weaved your words into this post at Christmas with such a timely truth.

God bless you.

Darlene said...

Beth,
I love this post and song! I really needed reminding this morning that HE loves me and I am nothing without HIM.
My heart seems heavy today...I know it is what we are going through with our daughter and with the holidays so close. We still have not talked to her ....I have tried but no answer or return calls. Keep praying....God is working!!!
Thanks again for the devotion and song!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Darlene

Jennifer said...

This is such a beautiful post! I love it. It is amazing when you think about the "lowest" in the eyes of people is the "highest" in God's eyes. Just another example that God can use anyone, at anytime, regardless of what others might think.

Thanks for sharing today. Happy TSMSS!

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing this, I love it.

Peggy said...

OK I checked this time...Blessings Beth...and thank you for sharing something that takes us from being nothing without Jesus & understanding that it's because of Him we celebrate & have an eternity to look forward to & live a life
"...And let it glorify all that You are worth
For I am nothing"

Again I know this song but not the artist...though his name is familar and this is the third time I've seen Bebo Norman today!!! Hmmmmmmm
Really love that the Lord Takes my life...my heart, my soul, my mind.
Your words that you shared personalized this & really brought it home for each reader. Bless you!

I'm glad God spoke this one to you!