Friday, June 25, 2010

PRAYING THE NAMES of JESUS: I AM

WEEK TWENTY SIX


The Name of Jesus for this week with Ann Spangler at Crosswalk.com




Hope you will join us today(or anytime during this weekend)sharing from what we read or would like to share about the Name of Jesus for this past week. This is the last one.










You may go HERE to find out more and follow along daily at Crosswalk. com with the devotional of Ann Spangler, "Praying the Names of Jesus"









John's Gospel contains several self-descriptions of Jesus introduced by the emphatic expression
Ego Eimi (e-GO ay-MEE), "I AM."
I AM the bread of life. (6:35)
I AM the light of the world. (8:12)
Before Abraham was born, I AM. (8:58)
I AM the gate for the sheep. (10: 7)
I AM the good shepherd. (10:11)
I AM the resurrection and the life. (11:25)
I AM the way and the truth and the life. (14:6)
I AM the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. (15:1)
Jesus emphatically described himself as the "resurrection and the life," "the way and the truth and the life," and the "true vine." Each of these images has something important to reveal to us about the character and purpose of Jesus Christ.



Wednesday was the day that spoke the most to me this week from Ann Spangler (her words in green) because it goes along with a small group study "Life's Healing Choices" by John Baker - Freedom from Your Hurts, Hang-ups and Habits. It's time to REALIZE the REAL LIES and allow GOD'S TRUTH to prevail and set us free. (Peggy)

WEDS.

Reflect On: John 14:1 - 6.
Praise God: For giving us a way back to Him.
Offer Thanks: For the Spirit of God who leads us into all truth.
Confess: Any half truths or lies that you have allowed into your life.
Ask God: To help you to love and recognize the truth.

Join us today in asking Christ for the grace to reject the beguiling lies of our culture — that sexual gratification is all important, that life is about the pursuit of money and success, that the individual reigns supreme. Let us remember the words of St. Paul who urges us to set our hearts on things above, where Christ is, remembering that when Christ, who is our life, appears, then we too will appear with him in glory (Colossians 3:1 - 4).
Ann shared this on TUES.

Jesus, whose name means "Yahweh is Salvation," is the great I AM — the one who is always present with us whether or not we recognize him. Whatever difficulties you may face, whatever storms may threaten, pray for the grace to have eyes and ears wide open so that you may perceive the Lord saying, "Take courage! I AM."

Reflect On: Matthew 14:25 - 27 and John 18:4 - 6.
Praise God: For being with his people.
Offer Thanks: For the ways Christ has been present in your life.
Confess: Any fear that God may abandon you in a time of need.
Ask God: To open your eyes to his presence and his power.
THURS. OUCH! (the pruning) this also, being one of my favorite verses was a beautiful image and devotion from Ann on the great "I AM"

Reflect On: John 15:1 – 16.
Praise God: For sending his Son to be the True Vine through whom the world would be saved.
Offer Thanks: That Christ has made you a branch of the True Vine.
Confess: Any disobedience that makes it difficult for you to abide in the Vine.
Ask God: To prune you in whatever way is necessary so that you can be as fruitful as possible.
The kind of abiding that Jesus speaks of in John’s Gospel is a lifelong abiding accomplished through faith and obedience. Furthermore, we abide not as a single branch, isolated from others, but in union with Christ and with other believers. Together we are branches of “the true vine.”
It is no accident that Jesus uses the metaphor of a vine to describe himself and his disciples. In Palestine abundant vineyards were considered a sign of God’s favor. Vines, in fact, were labor intensive forms of cultivation that grew best in peacetime, producing grapes that could be eaten fresh or made into raisins, grape juice, wine, and even a jelly-like substance called honey. No wonder the vine was a symbol of peace and prosperity. Numerous times in the Old Testament, God had referred to Israel as a vine. But Israel was a wild vine that had failed to produce the rich harvest God intended (Isaiah 5:4). By calling himself the “true vine,” Jesus was saying that he was the true Israel. Jesus and those who belong to him will fulfill God’s plan for the world.
For each of us, abiding in the true vine is a lifelong, sometimes painful process. Like branches on a vine, we have to be pruned so that we can be more fruitful in the future than we have been in the past. Apart from Christ we shrivel and die. But united with him we experience the God-blessed life, which, as Paul told the Galatians, produces “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control” (Galatians 5:22 – 23). Indeed, we are called to bear fruit that will last.
Today, ask God for the grace to recognize your true purpose in life, which is not to be blessed but to become a blessing, bearing the sweetness of Christ to all who are hungry for him.
John 15:5 (45 kb)

HEAVENLY FATHER,
KEEP ME PRUNED
SO
I MAY BEAR MUCH FRUIT;
YOUR FRUIT,
THE FRUIT OF YOUR HOLY SPIRIT.

MAY I LIVE
THE TRUE PURPOSE
YOU GAVE ME
BY
YOUR GRACE.

MAY I LIVE
PURPOSEFULLY
AT ALL TIMES.

MAY I BLESS OTHERS
as
YOU HAVE BLESSED ME!

MAY I BE
THE SWEET FRAGRANCE
OF CHRIST
TO ALL
WHO HUNGER & THIRST.

THANK YOU FOR BEING THE
"GREAT I AM"

THANK YOU
FOR
WHO YOU ARE
AND
WHO YOU ARE
HELPING ME
TO
BECOME!


This is the last Name of Jesus in "Praying the Names of Jesus"... by Ann Spangler!
I think that Crosswalk.com will continue with Ann Spangler's other book,* "Praying the Names of God" or perhaps another. [Remember that Jill @ Forever n Ever n Always has been doing *this book-about 10 Names left].

If you'd like to share on "I AM", please share your link:


1 comment:

Peggy said...

Blessings POYL readers...

I gotta be desperate to comment on my own post! But today's devotional of Ann's was another favorite verse:

"Of all the promises of Jesus in the Bible none is greater than this: "I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die" (John 11:25). If Jesus hadn't made this promise, every other promise would be only a short-term warranty set to expire on our death. His own resurrection forever validates his claims and promises."


Followed by these wonderful promises and other scriptures:

By living and dying to save us, Jesus himself has become the Promise we live by. He is the Truth we stand on, the Bread that nourishes us, the Shepherd who leads us, the Vine that makes us fruitful. He is the Resurrection for which we hope and the Gateway to life eternal. He is all of these things and more — the Almighty, Everlasting God, the One who is the great I AM!

Promises in Scripture

"Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask."

Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."

Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?" John 11:21 - 26

Continued Prayer and Praise

Remember that Jesus will never leave us. (Matthew 28:20)

Know that Jesus is God. (Matthew 16:15 - 16; Mark 14:61 - 62)

Realize that Jesus is the Beginning and the End. (Revelation 1:8, 17; 21:6)

So as I read this, I am so encouraged by Lazarus' story & the
reminders of Martha and Jesus talk with remembering that He promised to never leave us. Though I am grieving still the tragic loss of my dear friend, I will hold on to my HOPE in Jesus and ETERNAL LIFE!
I will not despair as my friend, because I know that Jesus is greater in me & HE IS GOD & HIS WORD is TRUE! So though my feelings are raw still after 6 months, I will not focus on that, but on my faith in Our Lord and savior, the great I AM, the beginning & the end, the Resurrection and the life, in whom I trust completely!

Just me again... thanking the Lord and love this song that Beth shared with me in an email... I have listened to it over and over today, to keep me focused as I pray.
Peggy