Monday, February 2, 2009

Weekly Memory Verse


It's Monday, so it's time for our Weekly Memory Verse. I've not been feeling well this week, but I tried to memorize this as well as I could. And luckily, this is a verse that I already knew.

My own problem is not knowing the verse, but remembering where it is in the Bible so that I can find it easily!! So, I'm going to make a more concentrated effort to not only remember the Scripture but where it is located!!

So, here we go with my typing out the memory verse from last week:

But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you...Matthew 6:33


As I read and pondered on this verse, the first few words that "popped" out to me were "seek", "kingdom" and "righteousness".

Seek means to me to pursue with a heart and mind that is open to change. I am not meant to stay where I am at this present time in my journey with God, but to ask and receive His instructions and guidance as to where my spiritual walk is to lead me next.

Am I to stay where I am at this given moment, Lord, is this a time of rest and reflection for me; or are you moving me into the next step of drawing me closer to You, serving You? I can only learn what God has in store for me by asking Him through prayer with the knowledge that He will answer me, led me, guide me and direct me in my path.

Then I came to the word "kingdom"--HIS Kingdom. And I'm thinking, is God's Kingdom for me and me alone? No, His Kingdom is all of us. Am I meant to seek and pursue after God's Kingdom alone? Again, the answer is no. A kingdom is not made up of one King and one person. There is only ONE KING and many who serve Him.

This then brings me to the thought that we need to "seek His Kingdom" (His guidance and His direction for our lives) together--united as one spirit in His body.

God did not intend for us to go it alone. He has given us one another to uplift, support, encourage one another in our walk with Him. These people are our spiritual family--those that God has surrounded us with, not only to encourage and love us, but to hold us accountable in our every day lives.

Then I move on to "righteousness". I looked up the definition of righteousness, and this is what I found:
acting in accord with divine or moral law; free from guilt or sin.

When this verse is saying "and all these 'things' will be given to you", it is not referring to the material things in our lives. This verse is referring to the divine intervention of God in our lives, living and behaving as God wishes us to.

To put it briefly, this is what all of this combined means to me:

Pursue God's Will in your life through prayer with Him. Invest your time and your resources in others who are members of His Kingdom, bring others to His Kingdom through not just your own efforts, but a combined effort of our united
spirits in Him. Then you will receive His reward--living as God wishes us to, within His moral law and guidelines--and the best reward of all--eternal life spent with Him in Heaven.

What did this verse say to you this week? Please leave a comment telling us what God has spoken to you regarding this verse during the week.

I know that some of you are posting on your own blogs regarding the "Weekly Memory Verse". I'm trying to get a Mr. Linky so that we can all "link up" and see what God has been talking to us about this week.

Until I do, please leave a comment saying that you have posted on your own blog so that we can all visit one another.

Now, we'll move on to next week's verse which happens to be the ace of clubs from my "Embracing The Word" deck of cards! Oh, another good one! I'm just loving the surprise element in these cards. I don't look to see what's ahead--just wait until today and then discover the verse along with all of you! Are you ready?

Behold, the LORD's hand is not so short that it cannot save; nor is His ear so dull that it cannot hear.......Isaiah 59:1

WOW!! God's already been talking with me about this!!

Beth


5 comments:

Dorothy Champagne said...

I agree with what you've said. Ask God what to do in all circumstances and your reward is His guidance and the glory that He receives. Those that are not Christians will not see the joy in this type of reward. But those of us who are - know the amazement of seeing God's will shown to us. You've hit the nail on the head here.

Marsha said...

Great verse for this week! I'll have it posted on my blog in just a couple of minutes.

Hope you feel better soon! I know the weather up where you are has been YUCKY!!! That alone can make you not feel good. When I got home Friday night from PA it was cold here, too. We're expecting snow tonight. After the past few weeks in PA, I'm pretty tired of snow, cold and ice!

Have a blessed day my friend. And congratulations to this blog for being in the top 100! Whoa-Whoo!!

Denise said...

In total agreement.

Peggy said...

AWESOME Beth! You have broken down Matthew 6:33 very well and your rewrite is the best translation I've read of how to really SEEK HIM FIRST!

For this you were rewarded with being nominated as a sweet BLESSED AROMA in 2008 with Internet Cafe!

Congratulations on a well-deserved recognition of your writings and spiritual growth to you & your 2008 team!

I love your new Isaiah verse! Again thanks for telling me which card so I make make note...this verse, this card...did you notice the Bible Gateway verse today:
“However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him"—”
(1 Corinthians 2:9)

has the same idea as

Behold, the LORD's hand is not so short that it cannot save; nor is His ear so dull that it cannot hear.......Isaiah 59:1

I memorized Matthew 6:33 in Spanish & knew it in English...however I did not write on it more than last WFW! I now changed it in my sidebar to the new one in English! One language at a time...did not know this.

I'm so thankful that the hand of the Lord was never too short to reach down and grab me out of one mess or maze...His Grace aMazes me!

Sharon said...

This is a beautiful verse, and my hubby and I use this alot in our praying. As you know when we pray the power is in the word.
Catch ya on the next one.... Now it's on my mind to which is a great
reminder, amen!
Blessings