Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Breath of Prayer

I'm reading a book I've recently purchased called "The Power of Praying Through the Bible" by Stormie Omartian. I'm taking this book slowly--not rushing through this--because there is a lot to learn and absorb in this book. The author starts in Genesis, going through the Bible through to Revelation--a little excerpt on a verse with a portion of the Bible to read and ends with a prayer.

I thought I would take a few minutes to share the first few pages of this book with you.

The first prayer study is called "God's Connection with Us". The portion of the Bible to read is Genesis 1:26-2:7, and the particular verse to focus on is Genesis 2:7:

"The LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."

As God created the world into being, He didn't remain impersonal in His creation. He became personally involved with human beings, breathing the very breath of life into us. By doing so, He gave us the ability to speak. Without breath, we wouldn't be able to perform this feat.


We breathe in and out, and we speak with the inspiration and expiration of our breath.

I remember each of my children's first words--how thrilled I was to hear them speak!! Even their first sounds which I had to deciper to understand!! But, I understood what they were saying and was awed when they began to verbally communicate with me and others.

God gave us these abilities. He bestowed them upon us--the ability to breathe and the ability to speak. When I think of how thrilled I was to hear my own children's first words, I am just wondering how thrilled God must be when we speak to Him through prayer. He is waiting there, listening for us to speak to Him, utilizing the ability that He Himself gave us.

I remember when I first re-turned to God. I was hesitant to pray because I really didn't know how. I heard others praying, and I was just amazed. I had never heard prayer before. This wasn't something we did in my home during our growing up years. In church, only the Pastor of the church prayed--no one else.

So, I was at a loss as to where to begin.

If you are like I was and feel hesitant to speak to God through prayer, Stormie gives a little hint in her book. Start small. Breathe a prayer to God. Say "Thank you for" slowly, breathe in slowly using this time to think of what you are thankful for. Then breathe out saying the words to express your gratitude to God.

Sounds simple enough, doesn't it? So, start praying today to thank God for whatever you are thankful for in your life at this given moment. It doesn't have to be something big.

Breathe in--"Thank you, God"........Breathe out........."for your unfailing love."

A simple prayer to God that He is waiting to hear. He's there waiting for each of us to speak to Him. just as we waited for our own children to speak to us. Start simple by just breathing your prayers to Him. He gave us the breath of life. Breathe back your thanks to Him.

Please be sure to visit "The Lighthouse of Prayer" and breathe your thanks to the LORD.


Beth

4 comments:

Denise said...

Amen.

Kay Martin said...

I love all of Stormie's books. I heard her speak in a conference a few years ago and her life story just made her written words even more significant.

When I think of praying scripture I always think of Jesus' direct confrontation with Satan in the desert...He only quoted the Word; and He is the Word. How dare us think anything else will be appropriate when all of Hell is after us!!!

God bless.

Peggy said...

Blessings Beth...I'm so glad that you enjoy the book by Stormie &
that you are sharing them here!

I cannot recapture my comment that has disappeared, only for God's ears and eyes, I guess. This is very disheartening. Yours & mine.
What's up?

Holy Spirit Breathe on me!

Thank You for the air I breathe!
Thank You Lord that I am free
to pray & read Your Word each day
to thank You and give You praise
to You my hands I always raise
For You alone are Lord & King
I offer You my everything
Thank You Father is what I sing!

I seek You Father in my life.
I seek Your righteousness.
I seek Your Kingdom.
LORD, I seek You with all my heart.
I will always seek You, knowing that I will surely find You when I
seek Your face continually. You are
my daily manna, you are the bread of life...Your Word is life to me.

Breathe on me! Thank You for Your
unfailing love! Thank You for breathing new life in me! Thank You
for the breathe of life! Thank You for the breath of Your Holy Spirit!

I will remember that from dust I came and from dust I will return.
But it was Your breathe in me that brought me life & eternal life!

Thank you, Beth for sharing Genesis
and Stormie Omartian & your inspiring thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Thank You Beth for sharing Genesis and The book by Stormie Omartian The Power of Prayer. I have read some of her books. God has restored me back to Him. I have left God for quite sometime, but I found Him again. God is so merciful and loving. He could of struck me with lightening and be done with me, but He has so much to give and has plans for me in His Family.

My Dear Heavenly Father
I thank you so very much for giving me another chance to be in Your Family
And allowing Your son Jesus to die for my sins. If it wasn't for Jesus dying on the cross, I wouldn't have Eternal Life with You. Thank You Jesus for dying on the cross for my sins so I can have Eternal life. AMEN!!!